Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Buttermilk Apple Muffins..from a while ago!

I don't actually want to acknowledge how long I've been partially writing this post. Let's just say that my apples were purchased in the fall and the muffins were baked then too!!! Ah well, better late than never! 

I know that I've mentioned before that I adore apples! I think they're fantastic and when they are in season, they make my life better! The only thing that made apples better was spending the day with this little bugger while hunting for perfect pumpkins and buying apples too:

 
This is my youngest brother Jordan! He was vital in helping me find just the right apples for these delicious muffins. This kid was a trooper as we hiked through the pumpkin patch and froze our buns off trying to find perfect pumpkins. It was a day of broken pumpkins and cold weather but we had so much fun! Anywhoo, back to the muffins!

The 20 Minute Supper Club, which is now owned and operated by Canadian Family, still has some of the best recipes that I've seen both for meals as well as snacks. I decided to try their recipe for Buttermilk Apple Cake but I decided to make them as Buttermilk Apple muffins instead. I'm a big fan of muffins for breakfast or a snack and even more if they're fruit filled. These muffins fit the bill all around. 

Gorgeous, heavenly apples
The filling for between the layers of dough.
The recipe calls for leaving the skin on... I will next time but I peeled most of mine this time around. So there was slightly less fiber in these than the recipe calls for.
I love all of the good bits in the batter - flax, whole wheat flour and buttermilk. Be sure not to overmix the batter!
Fill the muffin cups half way, add some of the brown sugar topping, and then add another dollop of batter on top!


These muffins aren't overly sweet but the apples help make them delicious!!!
I found that this recipe makes 12 muffins which is just perfect. I also think next time I'll add more apples. 

Buttermilk Apple Cake

Ingredients
  • 1/4 Cups butter, softened
  • 2/3 Cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
  • 1 Cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 6 apples, finely chopped (leave skin on for more fibre) - I used macintosh apples
  • 1/4 Cups packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  •  
    1. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until combined. Beat in buttermilk.
    2. In another bowl, combine flours, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Add to buttermilk mixture and stir well. Add apples and mix until combined. Fill each lined muffin cup just slightly less than halfway with the batter.
    3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle onto batter in each muffin cup. Top each muffin with a dollop of remaining batter.
    4. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
    Happy Baking Everyone!!!
    t

    No comments:

    Post a Comment